Friday, August 13, 2010

Song of Solomon 1:3 – Your oils have a pleasing fragrance (NAS)

The fragrant oils of Jesus refer to His thought life. His oils or perfume (NIV) speaks of what He thinks and what He feels. In verse two we prayed for a greater understanding of His emotions and affections for us, now we proclaim that the knowledge of His passions and pleasure in us are a sweet fragrance. His love for us has an intoxicating aroma.

 
Fragrances affect our senses. In recent years there has been a growing resurgence to the practice of Aromatherapy. The use of essential oils for one’s psychological and physical well-being is dated back thousands of years. If the oils from plants and trees can have an impact to our natural senses how much more of a profound impact do the oils from experiencing Jesus’ passionate affections have on our spirit. His thoughts and emotions toward us is a sweet fragrance; the knowledge of the depths of His love brings healing to our being: spirit, soul and body. We are changed from the inside out!

Meditate on what He thinks and feels about you:
“…Your thoughts toward us cannot be recounted to You.. they are more than can be numbered” Psalm 40:5

“As high as the heavens are above the earth so great is His lovingkindness toward those who fear Him”  Psalm 103:11
 
“…I have loved you with an everlasting love; therefore with lovingkindness I have drawn you” Jerimiah 31:3

 
“…you shall be called Hephzibah… for the LORD delights in you” Isaiah 62:4

 
“…as the bridegroom rejoices over the bride, so shall your God rejoice over you” Isaiah 62:5

 
“…you will call Me ‘My Husband’ and no longer call Me ‘My Master.’” Hosea 2:16

“I will betroth you to Me forever…I will betroth you to Me in lovingkindness and mercy" Hosea 2:19-20

“Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am…” John 17:24

 
He calls us holy, blameless, spotless, chosen, His special treasure. We are His beloved, His bride, His inheritance. We are His desire and He longs to be with us. Every page of His Word is filled with the sweet fragrance of His affections and thoughts for us. His thoughts toward me, like fragrant oil, penetrate deep into my spirit making me whole. At times I can’t contain the joy that arises from the reality of these truths.

 
Devotional Prayer
As I meditate on the words You speak over me, that Your thoughts toward me are innumerable and Your love for me has no measurement, I am overcome by the fragrance of these truths. Though it is intangible, my spirit senses a sweet aroma when You declare Your delight in me. There is no greater fragrance found in the entire world than the fragrance of Your Word. It is so pure and sweet. I thank You Father that You always lead us in Your victory and manifest through us the sweet aroma of the knowledge of Jesus. (2 Cor 2:14)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Penny,
    Love your devotional! So glad to be able gleen from your pursuit of the Lord! :O)

    ReplyDelete